Life Less Ordinary for the week of April 17, 2009

Dangerous
Attaboy

I don’t get you
What you want is bigger than I am
I don’t think I’ll ever understand
Why you’re asking me to just jump in
You’re a hurricane in a deadly spin

The way you move is dangerous
You take me to the edge of trust
But I’ll have faith
Even if your way is dangerous

In the darkness
I won’t doubt what You said in the light
I will not be stranded in my midnight
You keep asking me to face my fear
Honestly it’s so unclear

The way you move is dangerous
You take me to the edge of trust
But I’ll have faith
Even if your way…
…is terrifying me
Not what I would choose
Despite my disbelief
I will follow you

The way you move is dangerous
You take me to the edge of trust
I’ll have faith no matter what
Even if you’re dangerous

~~~

I’m pretty sure that I could play this song 1000 times in a row and never get tired of it. When I listen to it, I picture myself standing at the edge of a cliff, looking down at Jesus standing there asking me to jump off. I’m thinking, is he crazy?

Oddly enough, he is. God moves in really dangerous ways. He asks us to stand in the face of persecution. To deny ourselves for the sake of others. To take up our crosses daily. He asks us to trust him, even when we are terrified. It’s mad. It’s ridiculous. It’s backwards. And honestly, it makes me want to give up sometimes.

I suppose it’s an odd topic to talk about right here at the end of the year; I feel like I should be writing about the future, or about focus, or drawing on God’s strength. But I think the issue of trust and truth permeate all of that. He may take us right up to the edge of our ability to trust him—but he has promised us that he will not strand us in our midnight. He will always be there, in all the stress and struggle and weariness. Hang in there, girls.

“Indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep…The LORD will keep you from all harm—he will watch over your life.” ~ Psalm 121

~~~

Check out more of Attaboy's music at http://www.attaboyonline.com/!

---

2 comments:

  1. I feel like these devotionals are consistently written from a negative standpoint. Not everyone is struggling with all of the dark things you write about. It would be nice some of these could be written from a more positive standpoint. Instead of " I know this end of the semester is terrible" or " do you ever feel alone and like God isnt there." type things.

    You bring up good issues, but the truth of the matter is that these devotionals are read in the shower. Frankly, they sometimes can put me in a bad mood because they tend to lean to the negative side of things.

    I want to affirm you in your work for the Lord. It's great that you want to serve Him and that you want to speak truth, but maybe you could work on coming from a more positive stand point and leaving more meaty/heavy spiritual discussions for one-on-one fellowship or some other venue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm. I guess I didn't realize they were so negative sounding. Thank you for your thoughts; I really appreciate it. I will do what I can with the short time we have left. God bless :)

    ReplyDelete